Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ocean dwellers really are the strangest creatures ever created. I imagine God sitting in his drawing room, sketching out some new characters. The lines on the paper come together to reveal something fantastic. Something almost otherworldly. A little dragon for the miniature mermaids.


I had never seen nor heard of a sea dragon until last Saturday, when I practically stuck my nose to the glass of the inhabitant's dwelling. What an odd and wonderful thing! It even has tiny dragon wings.

Luc and I visited Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg, TN last Saturday. Not only did I discover the sea dragon, I also got to be up close and personal with various sharks. Okay, I wasn't nose to nose with Jaws, but a saw fish swimming only a few feet above me with only a piece of glass between us is close enough for me.



I'm mesmerized by the fluidity and grace of the jellyfish. They're beautiful to watch, but I can only assume the sting isn't so sweet.

There were even kiddos housed inside the aquarium. The baby jellyfish were labeled, "Babies Without Brains."

Super duper cutie seahorses! A few of them have their tails wrapped around the tiny sticks. Go to my flickr to see up close.

Ahh yes, it was a fun learning experience, and I highly recommend finding a sea dragon of your own :)

And now, completely off topic, here is my latest collage on watercolor paper. The border on the bottom is so random. It adds that certain strangeness my soul must have. I plan on using the dress form again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...